Find somewhere new to live

If you decide that you need to find a new place to live there are a number of options including moving in with friends or family or, if you can afford it, finding a private rental property.

People escaping domestic violence may apply for housing assistance from the Department of Housing. In general, to be eligible for most forms of public housing, you will need to be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia and live in NSW. You must also be within the Department’s income and asset limits and be able to successfully sustain a tenancy either independently or with appropriate support.

Apart from emergency accommodation, the Department of Housing has a number of other programs, including priority housing and RentStart that, subject to certain criteria, you may be eligible to apply for.

For more information about any of the types of service or whether you are eligible to apply contact the nearest office of the Department of Housing. Look in the white pages under H for your local office or visit